Our annual All Breed Dog Show, Rally, and Obedience trials, will be held September 19-22 (2019) at the Lewis and Clark fairgrounds.
Download the premium or Judging Program on our Fall Cluster Page!
Our next Agility event is the Spring Agility Trial, April 26-28 (2019). This is an All Breed / Mixed Breed Trial, so all are welcome! Come join us at the Multipurpose Barn located on the Lewis and Clark Fairgrounds for a weekend of fun!
Download Fall Premium on our Events page
Next Business Meeting December 4th 6:30 pm
detailed information will be on our Events page as it becomes available
Welcome to our Web Site
The Helena Montana Kennel Club was organized in 1975 and is affiliated with the American Kennel Club. This is a working club that organizes and sponsors AKC approved dog shows, obedience, rally and agility trials. We are dedicated to promoting responsible dog ownership and breeding practices.
Our membership consists of individuals with a diverse set of interests including breeding, training, rescue, search and rescue and therapy dogs. We participate in a large variety of dog-related events including conformation, obedience, rally, agility, herding, barn hunts, field trials and tracking. We love our dogs and all aspects of dog-related activities.
We have club business meetings where we conduct the business related to the activities and events that the membership supports. Guests are welcome to attend these meetings. Our meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm in building 3 at the Lewis & Clark County Fairgrounds. 2018 meeting schedule: March 6; April 3; June 5; September 6 (Thursday); October 2 and December 4.
- Conformation Shows - We coordinate our efforts with the Gallatin Kennel club to sponsor the 4 day Fall Roundup Cluster each September in the exhibition hall at the Lewis and Clark County Fairgrounds. This is an AKC all breed conformation show. The conformation event is reserved for purebred dogs that are AKC registered.
- Obedience and Rally Trials - These trials are performance events held in conjunction with the Fall Roundup Cluster in September of each year.
- Agility - These performance events are held in April and October at the Lewis and Clark County Fairgrounds in the multi-purpose building.
- We occasionally organize other types of dog-related performance events such as carting, herding and tracking. Keep checking our web site for announcements.
Any dog registered with AKC, including mixed breeds with a PAL/ILP number, may participate in the agility, obedience, rally and other performance events. To register your dog with AKC please see the American Kennel club website www.akc.org/register.
- Training Classes - We conduct training classes throughout the year for basic and continuing agility, obedience, rally, CGC (canine good citizen), and conformation. For more information on our training programs please visit our training pages.
- Drop in practice sessions - we have various drop in practice opportunities including conformation, rally and agility.
- Obedience run through ring rentals during the winter months, simulating a trial environment. for more information see our Obedience Ring Rental page under our Training page.
- Rescue - Many of our members have been and continue to be actively involved in dog rescue and volunteer their time and energy to help the dog in need. We offer a discount for our basic obedience course to individuals who adopt a dog from the Lewis and Clark Humane society.
- Youth Programs - Several of our members volunteer their time to support the 4H dog project through teaching obedience, agility, showmanship and most importantly responsible dog ownership.
- School Visits - Our education committee visits local schools to instruct students on dog safety as well as dog sports demonstrations. Contact Patty to schedule 933-8486.
- Therapy Dog Visits - Some of our club members are also actively involved in therapy dog visits to nursing homes, medical facilities, homes for special needs and the library reading program. If you know of a group that might be interested in a visit from one of the therapy teams you can contact one of these two individuals.
Links to other Therapy resources
Intermountain Therapy Animals
Alliance of Therapy Dogs
Helena Chapter of ITA.
The Helena Montana Kennel Club has a Grant program to assist individuals and organizations in their efforts to promote responsible dog ownership. If you would like to apply for our Grants program, please visit our Grants page for more information.